The Covid-19 Virus and How We Can Win This WarApril 6, 2020
Hey my friends,
I hope you are surviving, managing and maybe even thriving during this unprecedented time in history.
In this episode, I am sharing with you a Facebook LIVE I did with Kayla Burton, BCC trainer and mental health expert on social injustice and racism. It is powerful, informative and enlightening.
We dive right in and it was our goal to do so without judgment. Here are just a few nuggets we bring to the talk:
• How do I explain racism to my children?
• Is racism systemic in law enforcement?
• How do we make real change?
• The number we thing we can ALL do to help wipe out racism.
Kayla also shared a slew of resources for us to use to continue to learn long after people stop talking. I have listed them below.
As always, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to our podcast. If you would like to reach out to Kayla for additional information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will connect you.
Love you hard,
People to follow: Jane Elliott at JaneElliott.com, Brene Brown (Youtube), Emmanual Acho (Facebook)
Here is a link for additional resources: Click Here.
1. My People (Langston Hughes)
2. Still I Rise (Maya Angelou)
3. Of Our Spiritual Strivings (W.E.B. DuBois)
4. If We Must Die (Claude McKay)
5. The Ballot or the Bullet (Malcolm X)
6. Heritage (Countee Cullen)
Books or Longer Reads:
1. The Audacity of Hope (Barak Obama)
2. Becoming (Michelle Obama)
3. The Souls of Black Folk (WEB DuBois)
Reads to Empower Kids:
1. I’m a Pretty Little Black Girl
3. Ada Twist Scientist
4. Let’s talk about Race
5. I’m Enough
6. Chocolate Me
7. The Black Snowman
8. I Love my Hair
9. The Eagles who Thought they were Chickens (Mychal Wyn)
10. The Other Side
Topics to Learn More About:
13th, 14th, 15th, Amendments
Civil Rights Act
Voting Rights Act
Brown v Board
Cultural Appropriation and its effects on black upward mobility
Racial Wage Gaps
"These Books Can Help You Explain Racism and Protest to Your Kids": Click Here
If you have topics you would like me to cover or questions I can answer, please email me at email@example.com. And, obvi, it can be ANY topic!
And then, once you finish listening, would you take a second to subscribe to our podcast? It takes just a few seconds and will guarantee you don't miss out on upcoming episodes! Click here to subscribe!
If you found this to be helpful, we would love it if you would share it with your friends.
Now get out there, and keep going for your goals one step at a time. Invest in yourself!
The BCC Team